How to Use DEFINITY®: Dosing and Administration
DEFINITY® - the only ultrasound enhancing agent with multiple dosing options to meet patient- and practice-specific needs4-6
A single vial of DEFINITY® is sufficient to capture essential diagnostic information1-3
Dosing and Administration Options
Diluted bolus is the most common DEFINITY® administration method and DEFINITY® is the only ultrasound enhancing agent approved for use in a diluted form.1-3 This efficient method simplifies administration by combining activated DEFINITY® and the preservative-free saline in the same syringe.
Diluted Bolus Method
Continuous Infusion provides a consistent, steady enhancement of DEFINITY® and is well suited for exams which are performed over an extended period of time.
Continuous Infusion Method
The Bolus method uses a weight-based dose of activated DEFINITY® followed by a saline flush. Weight-based dosing and administration is less commonly used.
1.Becher H, Burns PN. Handbook of Contrast Echocardiography: Heidelberg, NY: Springer-Verlag; 2000:2-44.
2. Kitzman DW, Goldman ME, Gillam LD, Cohen JL, Aurigemma GP, Gottdiener JS. Efficacy and safety of the novel ultrasound contrast agent
perflutren (Definity) in patients with suboptimal baseline left ventricular echocardiographic images. Am J Cardiol. 2000;86(6):669-674.
3. Kurt M, Shaikh KA, Peterson L, et al. Impact of contrast echocardiography on evaluation of ventricular function and clinical management in a large prospective cohort. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009;53(9):802-810.
4. DEFINITY® [package insert] N. Billerica MA: Lantheus Medical Imaging, Inc., 2017.
5. Optison™ [package insert]. Marlborough, MA: GE Healthcare, Inc.; 2016.
6. Lumason® [package insert], Monroe Twp., NJ: Bracco Diagnostics Inc., 2017.