How to Use DEFINITY®: Dosing and Administration
A single vial of DEFINITY® is sufficient to capture essential diagnostic information1,2,3
Allow the vial to warm to room temperature before starting activation
Activate with VIALMIX® for the full
45-second activation cycle
VIALMIX® delivers consistency in the preparation of DEFINITY®
Mechanical agitation with VIALMIX® delivers consistent size and number of microbubbles, contributing to predictable image quality from study to study4,5
Operator error is minimized6
Activated DEFINITY® appears as a milky white suspension
Once activated, DEFINITY® may be used (up to 12 hours) by resuspending microspheres with 10 seconds of hand agitation. If not used, refrigerate and reactivate (12-36 hours from initial activation)4,7
Invert the vial and withdraw the activated DEFINITY® using PINSYNC® (Vented Vial Adapter 13mm) or 18 to 20 gauge needles
For single use only. It is essential to follow directions for activation of DEFINITY® and to adhere to strict aseptic procedures during preparation.
DEFINITY® offers several administration options to meet patient and practice-specific needs.1
DEFINITY® offers flexibility in dosing with convenient, easy-to-prepare options, including bolus, diluted bolus, and continuous infusion4
DEFINITY® is the only ultrasound contrast agent in the US approved for suspension in preservative-free saline and used in diluted form for administration4,8,9
The Diluted IV Bolus method is an alternative approach to the bolus technique. This simplifies the injection by combining activated DEFINITY® and the preservative-free saline in the same syringe.
Continuous IV Infusion1
Activated DEFINITY® is the only echocardiography contrast agent approved by the FDA for this method of administration. Continuous IV Infusion provides a consistent, steady enhancement of contrast and is well suited for exams which are performed over an extended period of time. This method can allow the infusion rate to be adjusted to provide optimal image enhancement.
Continuous IV Infusion Technique
The IV Bolus method uses a weight-based dose of activated DEFINITY® followed by a preservative-free saline flush. Weight-based dosing and administration is less commonly used.
*This method of dosing and administration is within the dosing range and administration types listed in the DEFINITY® Package Insert.
1. Kurt M, Shaikh KA, Peterson L, et al. Impact of contrast echocardiography on evaluation of ventricular function and clinical management in a large prospective cohort. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009;53(9):802-810.
2. Kitzman DW, Goldman ME, Gillam LD, Cohen JL, Aurigemma GP, Gottdiener JS. Efficacy and safety of the novel ultrasound contrast agent perflutren (Definity) in patients with suboptimal baseline left ventricular echocardiographic images. Am J Cardiol. 2000;86(6):669-674.
3. Becher H, Burns PN. Handbook of Contrast Echocardiography: Heidelberg, NY: Springer-Verlag; 2000:2-44.
4. DEFINITY® [package insert].
5. Sboros V et al. Ultrasound Echocardiography: Heidelberg, NY: Springer-Verlag; 2000:2-44.
6. http://www.lantheus.com/PDF/VIALMIX%20Users%20Guide.pdf. Accessed September 26, 2014.
7. Data on file, Lantheus Medical Imaging, Inc.
8. Optison™ [package insert]. Princeton, NJ: GE Healthcare; 2012.
9. Lumason™ [package insert], Monroe Twp, NJ: Bracco Diagnostics Inc., 2014.